Why rely on store bought granola when you can make it yourself without much trouble? No preservatives and no terrible things to weigh you down in the morning. This awesome granola is great for breakfast and any time of day as a snack.
- 3 cups of Rolled Oats
- 1/4 cup Oat Bran
- 1/2 cup Wheat Germ
- 1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed
- 1/2 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped Almonds
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup Fresh Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Butter
- 1/2 cup dried Blue Berries
- 1/2 cup dried Apricots
Preheat your oven to 350˚ F. In a large baking pan, mix the oats, oat bran, wheat germ, flax seed, sunflower seeds, almonds and cinnamon.
In a small saucepan, combine the honey, orange juice, and butter. Cook slowly stirring over medium-low heat until the butter is melted (don’t allow to boil). Pour the heated mixture over the mixture in the large baking pan. Toss and make sure it gets evenly coated.
Toast the mixture in the oven for 15-17 minutes, rotating and mixing every 5 minutes. Let cool, then mix in the dried blue berries and apricots.
This will keep in an air-tight container for a couple of months. Yields about 6.5 cups. Eat in a bowl with Almond milk is devine.
Cue the screaming guitars and slam! You got the most amazing granola.
Prep time: 11 minutes. Total cook time: 15 minutes.
* Organic ingredients are desirable. Organic Rolled Oats can be found in most stores now. Organic Oat Bran, Wheat Germ, and Flax Seed can be found in most health food stores. Some even have bulk bins (fantastic way to buy). Buy the almonds whole and chop them yourself (adds a little prep time, but is so worth it). Squeeze fresh organic Oranges when in season – it makes a huge difference in taste and nutrients. Organic Butter from cows not treated with rBST is ideal. If you have a dehydrator, make your own dried fruit, otherwise, local and freshly dried is best.