Let’s start a new acronym, the MTP. Seeing as how a lot of people know what a BLT is, I’d like to get this out as the MTP. What is it you ask? The Mozzarella, Tomato and Pesto. It almost sounds like a pizza don’t it? Well this is the sandwich…
- 2 – loaves (roughly 10 inches long) whole wheat French or Italian bread
- 4 – ounces sun-dried tomatoes, blanched and dried
- 8 – ounces skim milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 – cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 – clove garlic, crushed
- 1 – tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 – teaspoon black pepper
To make the pesto, start with whirling the basil, garlic, oil, and pepper for about a minute until smooth.
Cut each bread loaf in half horizontally. Spread pesto on the bottom slice. Cover the pesto with mozzarella and tomatoes. Cover with the other slice of bread and then cut in half.
Cue the screaming guitars and slam! You’ve got a great sandwich.
Makes 4 sandwiches
Total Prep Time: 8-10 minutes.
* Organic ingredients are ideal. I suggest looking for basil, garlic, tomatoes, grown locally to you and free of GMO or pesticides. Heck, grow the basil yourself. The most ideal version of mozzarella is fresh. You can also substitute low fat mozzarella cheese as well. Learn to bake your own bread and make it a complete meal yourself.